Computer too slow

My computer is too slow. It has a GB RAM... But has very low disk space... 1i've to wait too long for it top be opened... So I usually keep it on stand by... But sometimes while I'm opening it from standby it takes too much time to open and so I've to restar the PC... Need help... What to do?

Login or Register to comment on this topic.
Re [Computer too slow]:

What all is installed on your PC? And when you start it, do you see too many programs running in the toolbar at the bottom?

Re [Computer too slow]:

Many softwares including too much data... When I open it I usually see.. Yahoo Messenger, Skype and a Toolbar which I've installed

Re [Computer too slow]:

There are typically a lot of software which keep running in the background. All those software consume both CPU and RAM. So that slows down the computer. You should exit them and the computer would run a bit faster. 

Also, It is okay to fill up the drives. After all we buy hard disks to store data, don't we? ;) But please keep about 10% of your C drive empty because usually it is C drive where your pagefile and hibernation files are kept. Filling up C drive will always slow down the computer. How big is your C drive and how much data have you filled in there? 

So you defragment your drive at least once in a couple of months?

Re [Computer too slow]:

C drive is 187 GB.. And I've 4.4 left.. D has 20 GB left!

What is defragment?

And how can I close all those softwares?

Re [Computer too slow]:

I think you need to empty the C drive a little bit. You can run the Disk Cleanup utility (search for it in the start menu). Also uninstall some programs you are not using. Delete stuff in your My DocumnentsDownloads and other user folders which you do not use and you would get some free space. IMHO, if your C drive is 150+ GB, you must have about 15 GB out of it free. 

About closing those software - you can right click on their icon and select Exit or Quit option if it is available (most software has). If you want to stop them from loading when the computer boots up, then you should run the msconfig utility to remove them from list. Do not use msconfig if you do not understand it well enough

As far as defragment is concerned - it is an act of joining portions of files on disk. Look through wikipedia and you should be able to understand. Also, to defragment, you can type 'defrag' in the start menu search and it should show you the tool for the same. Alternatively, you can find it in the Accessories section of your All Programs menu. Just use that program once in a while - like one in a month or so is enough. Running it every now and then will not help that much. Also, that program's gonna take time!

Also, what toolbar have you installed? A lot of third party toolbars slow down the system.

Login or Register to comment on this topic.